Thursday, March 13, 2014

Subversive Horror Cinema: Countercultural Messages of Films from Frankenstein to the Present

Just a quick post to plug my good friend, Starburst scribe and fellow blogger Jon Towlson's new book, Subversive Horror Cinema: Countercultural Messages of Films from Frankenstein to the Present. I first met Jon on a film board back in 2011 and since then we've become regular commentators on each other's blogs. I can safely say I've had the better end of the bargain, Jon's brilliant, stimulating writing about how Horror Cinema has reflected the stresses, strains and anxieties of the age has sent me back to many well-worn classics with fresh insights and perspectives. Subversive Horror Cinema is due for release on paperback in the Spring/Summer of this year, but if you cannot wait until then, the book is now available to buy for Kindle from Amazon UK and Amazon US. To read more about Jon's book please visit this page at Jon's blog, and be sure to download a free sample of the book to your Kindle. The sample includes a forward by Squirm and Blue Sunshine director Jeff Lieberman.

Subversive Horror Cinema: Countercultural Messages of Films from Frankenstein to the Present
on my Kindle Paperwhite

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, will definitely grab the sample from the kindle store. Always great to see some serious analysis of the horror genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I don't have a Kindle, so I'm eagerly awaiting HARD COPY. Just sneaked a peek on Amazon though and loved what I saw; some seriously juicy analysis awaits. Roll on July...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. I hope you like what you see. I think McFarland have done a pretty good job of the Kindle version. I'm hoping that the paperback will be out before July, but will post updates on my blog.

    ReplyDelete