Tuesday 28 April 2015

The Abbey in the Oakwood

I finally opened my Vincent Price in Six Gothic Tales boxset last night and have cleared the proposed w/end viewing to hopefully catch all 6 films (and the substantial book that accompanies the set). Last night I watched The Fall of the House of Usher and I had seemingly forgotten much of it since my last pass at the Midnite Movies DVD edition, which made the Cocteau-ish dream sequence all the more startling. Watching the final shot of the film, the Usher house sinking into the malignant earth, I was reminded of the German landscape painter Caspar David Friedrich's 1810 painting The Abbey in the Oakwood, in which the old ruins of a church have become a cemetery for the monks who perhaps, Usher-like were cloistered there...

No comments:

Post a Comment